Tuesday 13 November 2007

Object Building Continued.

OK, so the modelling is finished! And to schedule, which is great. Though it was pretty close. I decided to axe the candles that I was going to place on the fireplace and some extra photoframes though, because if I wanted to keep on track I wouldn't have time to add these extra details which would hardly be noticed by the camera.



The ballroom. The screenshots make it looks a bit messy, but hopefully once textured it will look more like what I can see on the screen and in my head! Everything in the ballroom and study I moddeled myself, except for the table, Dan R built that :) He's also building the chanderleers that will be placed in here. The wall to the right looks a little bare, but that is because the stainglass windows will be there.

Ahh the pillers. Such a simple-looking design! They had to be the objects that took longest to build! Before this project I didnt know how to generate such smooth curves, I used to extrude cinlinders etc, but my friend Josh showed me how to use the CV curve tool. Using this method, I also created the banister leading up the stairs.



The stairs. These were the first things in the ballroom I attempted to model and one of my favourate features in the ballroom. I had to limit the ammount of 'Tim Burton' steps I used because Dan R felt they were too overpowering. As a compromise to making my steps more normal, I kept the banister which he thought was too 'spagetti-ish'.




You can see the grand piano above in all its former glory (ish)! I built the piano to scale using the little cylinder I had built to keep the human scale. However, when I imported it into the scene it didnt fit properly into its allocated space! Well, it did, but the space I left, once with the piano inside looked too cluttered and seemed to be too close to the steps, making it look unrealistic. I couldnt scale the piano down all together otherwise it would be out of scale with everything else in the scene. I was left with one alternative...... shrink down the back! Not so grand a grand piano any more :( On the brightside, I'm able to get away with it and have it appear to look grand as in its former days, because the camera never looks at it directly top down or from the side. In the top picture with the stairs, you can see the piano after its back has been scaled down.



The entrance to the ballroom. I like the way this turned out as it looked almost identical to my early sketch of how I imagined the door to appear. I think the reson I like this design so much is because it looks like the door should be on the otherside leading into the ballroom. Instead of looking out of place in the room, all the odd furniture etc offsets it nicely, adding to the rooms 'oddball' feel.




On the table you can just about make out the cutlery. The chlice's are pretty average in design, but the knife and fork fit more into our personalities. The knife, we decided, would be a sharpe kitchen knife whilst the fork would have little devil prongs on them.





These are the lights that are going to be placed in the ballroom and study. These were inspired by the above light we found in Barcelona. I altered the design a little to fit more into our chosen style.

My cat chair.






The Dome that goes on top of the ballroom. Yes, it looks like a nipple, well hopefully anyway. Throughout our animation there are random little things to look out for. See our group page and read about the voodoo dolls for example....















Two shots of the study. On the wall behind there will be a large stainglass window. Everything in this study I modled myself. It looks a little bare in these screenshots, but on the far wall will be the stainglass window, which hopefully will bring more character to the room.




My dead christmas tree!



I used the same stool in the study for the piano to save time. It also matched, which brought some continuity to the rooms.

What I like about the study is that there are lots of little objects everywhere that were quick to build but added extra detail to the room, such as fountain pens!



I also built a rocking chair for the front of the house to go on our American-Hillbilly porch.

No comments: